Tuesday, July 12, 2005

2005 Update!

So if any of you keep an eye on this blog you will see that I started it, intially, and then failed to post. For almost a year. Well...a lot has been going on and I think I am determined, at least, to post small updates here as I see fit now. The whole blog thing sometimes seems overrated, but when one of the people I thought would be the last person on earth turns out to have a blog, I guess it's time for me to get back to business with mine.

Continuing the whole rant against nature...Hurricane Dennis rolled through Pensacola...and area that only a year ago Ivan devastated. Experts predicted at the time that it would take almost 2 years to recoup from that and Dennis comes in and basically rips up what had taken this many months to accomplish. Areas like Atlanta received more rain then they had seen in years and flooding the likes of which have never been experienced by their residents. An oyster town along the Florida coast, St. Marks, is completely devastated. Sure the oysters are still there, in some cases they are actually inside the residents' houses, but the transportation infrastructure there is destroyed so there is no way to get the product out. And of course Tropical Storm Emily seems to be following the exact same path.

The hurricane didn't hit here of course, hurricanes have almost never hit my town directly, but you couldn't tell that from watching the residents of our fair town. People acted (again) as if this hurricane was the end of the world...or the tended to ignore it. I guess I'm part of the latter group, I don't mind driving in a little rain, nor do I mind a few gusts of wind. We went out to grab a pizza and people were nuts. Don't people know that it's not only common courtesy but LAW to turn your headlights on when it's raining? Like our traffic 'doctor' here likened it to: if you are driving a green vehicle in the rain, but don't choose to turn your lights on, and I am driving a white car, you can seem me either way, but I most likely can't see you, at least until it's too late. And in this town lotsa folks like to paint their vehicles camoflauge colors (You can't see me!) which only make it worse. Come on guys, the deer can hear you coming down the road with an big block under the hood, open exhaust, and 44" SupaDupa MudSlinger Dee-Luxe tires.

The other thing is how the residents look when they have to deal with weather. I see people running around like morons with nothing but puny umbrellas. I mean with driving rain (we got 6 inches total,) and wind (20 mph sustained with 30 mph gusts,) you think people would see this and be ready for it on the way out the door. And people look at me and Raven are nuts, with my waterproof rubber sailing jacket, water resistant nylon boonie hat, quick dry nylon shorts, and sandals (no socks or soles to get soaked.) Like the when they are driving, you would think that a town accustomed to tropical weather as we are would be more prepared when such tropical weather occurs. I mean, maybe I'm a little bit more prepared for it, back in my day I was into camping, backpacking, and canoeing. In the middle of the wilderness with no shelter but a lightweight backpacking tent, you kinda get prepared for rain in a hurry.

Anyway...

3 Comments:

Blogger Midnite Raven said...

Really now, tell us how you are actually feeling ;)

July 12, 2005 4:38 PM  
Anonymous syko said...

Loved reading the story.

I think I'm more curious as to the person you referred to as the last person on earth to have a blog. I'll take a shot in the dark that it's me and I honestly don't mind you reading it either. It's probably about the deepest inner thoughts you'll ever see from me as I'm not much of a talker in that aspect. If it is me, enjoy reading. I'm sure there will be more than enough to read in the future
and I look forward to talking to you in person or even on the phone in soon.

July 13, 2005 11:22 PM  
Blogger ZipperSeven said...

Yeah, it was you, syko. To be honest I never thought you'd really get into writing a blog, let alone being as expressive with your emotions as you are with yours right now. Not inexplicable, given the circumstances, but surprising nonetheless. :)

July 25, 2005 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home