Thursday, September 22, 2005

Miscellaneous Wrap-Up

A few things changed this week, mostly in the structure of the blog itself. If you are an avid reader, (all 2 of you out there) you'll see that the style has changed to the 'back in black' Blogger template. I'm not totally happy with it, and I'm planning on it being temporary, as both Raven and I are shopping for new blog templates. With luck you should see this within the next few days.

I've also moved around my link section and made all the appropriate links with the oh-so-fashionable-this-week 80 X 15 'buttons'. If I don't have a link there it's because I don't have a button so if you want one, make one and mail it to me (you should all have the appropriate gmail address.) I've divided them into categories so they are easier to see what's what now.

I've also gotten back to what I like to blog about in the last few weeks. During Katrina I got tired of certain things (especially how the media kept mistaking helicopters) and wanted to make a statement just because I had a way to do it. Now I'm just plain tired of hearing about FEMA dicking things up and who's to blame, etc etc etc. But I'm back to my core subjects, NASA and automobiles, and I want to add some gadgety/geeky stuff to this too (as well as rollout the Extreme Geekery blog I have sitting behind the curtain.) In short the content of this site is becoming tighter, and there's the promise of some expansion in the near future.

So heres a few links, getting back to regular content:

After all that NASA has gone through in Louisiana and Alabama, the employees are eager to get back to work. Michoud (for those of you who don't know) is the Lockheed Martin facility where they and NASA construct and maintain (as well as perform testing for the eventual re-Return to Flight) the external tanks for the shuttles. It's a stones throw away from New Orleans proper, and suffered wind damage and some flooding from Katrina, as well as acting as a shelter for employees and their families as that storm came ashore and in the immediate days after. With the threat of Rita essentially passing them (while closing the all-important Johnson Space Center on it's way in) life is slowly returning to normal. Lots of good reading here.

In other news:

I saw an older VW Cabrio on the way in today and remembered that VW is introducing the Eos concept, which is basically a Cabrio for this generation. No word yet if the name is going to stick, but it looks as if VW is at least considering producing this.

For those of you who don't know, I just within the last couple of years became a VW fan, and while I don't now, nor have I ever, owned one, I'd like to. My sister has been a Beetle fan for as long as I can remeber, as much as she likes the new one she likes the classic ones better. It surprised her last time we had a talk about cars and I mentioned that I'd love to have an R32, she said "What's that?" and I explained to her that it was like the uber-GTi/Golf, and that there was a lot of engineering shared between that and her beloved insect-car.

If you'd like to see what the Eos looks like, check out VW Vortex, it's forum perhaps so powerful that it has managed to influence the decisions of VW's corporate board itself (in bringing the future R32/R36 here, and in 4 door form to boot.) Right now it's the vehicle at the top of the page, although when the next story comes out, you should be able to find appropriate linkage.

That's about it for now. Stay tuned for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home